Monday, February 24, 2014

Nail Polish and Vermont Maple Syrup

This weekend I was asked to choose two items that described me and explain why. It was very spur of the moment and didn't give me much time to think. I chose nail polish and Vermont maple syrup. Now before you think I'm vain and all about food, let me explain why. 


Nail Polish: When growing up I used to bite my nails all the time. Do much so that they would be bloody and scabby very often. My parents had many attempts at getting me to quit. None worked. I'm pretty stubborn:) One day my Grandma held my hands and looked them over, well, more like studied them. She simply states that my hands are beautiful. Then says they'd be more beautiful if I didn't bite my nails. From then on I stopped bitting in my nails. That's what began me painting my nails. In high school everyday was a different color on my nails. 


It's also a symbol of my hands. I can create with my hands. I make lace, cakes, paleo meals, quilts, clothes, language, and fun hair do's with my hands. I can serve and be the hands of God. I try to do the best I can and be someone that God can use for good:)


Vermont Maple Syrup: A wonderful discovery made while on my mission in the New Hampshire Manchester mission. It's real! I will never eat the knockoff nasty wanna-be syrup again. So naturally I have spent the necessary money to supplement my cravings and buy Vermont Maple Syrup now that I'm no longer in the New England area. 


It has become a symbol of my missionary service and sacrifice I have made for a year and a half. All the sweet memories I made during that time are very precious to me and worth so much!


The way that maple syrup is harvested is a great metaphor for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and gaining a testimony. The syrup is produced after extremely cold temperature differences that freeze and thaw everyday. Life is up and down all the time with trials and times of peace. When the sap is collected it is boiled down, over a refiners fire. Just like that we are refined and the excess unneeded junk is evaporated away and we are left with the sweetest syrup. We become our best selves with the help of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 


That is why nail polish and Vermont maple syrup are a pretty good description of me:)

No comments:

Post a Comment