Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Flashback: Craig's Favorite Scripture

I was reading my scriptures and, not having any particular passage in mind I wanted to study, I was flipping pages. None caught my eye. Until I flipped to this page-



While I was on my mission I used these scriptures and marked them up. Page 201 in the Book of Mormon, Mosiah 27:29 was marked "Craig's fav. scripture- what he wants." 

Craig was a less-active man in one of the smaller congregations I served in. I can clearly remember the first day I met him:) His mother lived in the same trailer park as we did. We had gone to see her, and he happened to be outside working in his car without his shirt on. As soon as he saw us he apologized for not being properly dressed, invited us inside his mother's home and slipped his shirt back on. 

When we went inside, his mom (who we had met already and we're planning on teaching that day) was sitting on the couch. We all sat in the living room and began with a prayer. I then opened the scriptures to Mosiah 27:29. My companion shared the background information to the story. We then asked Craig to read the verse of scrupture. He began reading and tears ran down his cheeks. By the end of the verse he couldn't stop us tears from becoming as a waterfall. The spirit of The Lord was so strong in that room. My heart was bursting. 

As soon as Craig could speak again he looked me in the eye and said, "how'd you know that was my favorite scripture?" My reply, "I didn't know, but it seems like God knew it and knew you needed to hear it." As tears now freely flew down all of our faces Craig began describing why that scripture was his favorite and so close to his heart. He wanted to be 'snatched' from the devil. He wanted to be free of his sins. He felt hopelessly lost and inadequate so he didn't pray. He was afraid. 

We taught God's love for him. He was a son of God!!! And God wants to forgive him of his sins and 'snatch' him from his horrible situation in life. That afternoon was one of the most spiritual lessons I had had. 

We taught him a few times after that. Craig introduced me to Moxie, a drink typically found in Maine. He always put his shirt on when he saw us coming, and promptly took it off when we left. 

Those were good times in the small congregation in Maine:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment