Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Remembering who I am

I've been thinking about the time I spent on my mission lately. All my companions I spent 24/7 with. The companions I became best friends with. The companions I struggled to get along with. The people I spent hours with teaching them about Jesus Christ and the love He has for each of us. The service projects I did at the soup kitchens, the libraries, hurricane clean up, individuals homes and random acts of kindness.

Now I'm reflecting on my life right now and wondering if I'm doing good works still. Maybe this is just because I'm a girl, but I'm wondering if I'm good enough, because I'm not doing as much good. I'm wondering what I'm worth now that I'm not a missionary. As a missionary I did so much good it was easy to see myself as important and needed, but now it's harder. I am not serving The Lord 100% of the time, like I did on the mission. I get down in the dumps, emotionally. Then I'm reminded by the sweet spirit of The Lord that I am worth it. Christ suffered and died so I can live now and return to live with my Father in Heaven after this life. What a sweet reminder! I love Jesus Christ so much! I love my Father in Heaven so much!!



Every time I feel down, I know where I can turn to find peace and joy: through prayer and scripture study to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Even though I'm not serving 100% of the time I still look out for opportunities to share the sweet teachings, or doctrines, of Christ with others. I love my roommates and serve them by doing the dishes, picking up the apartment, making their bed, fixing them a meal, or being a friendly ear to listen or a shoulder to lean on. 

God reminds me it's good to serve others and love one another, but that I am worth it simply because I'm His daughter. I am a daughter of God. Just like you are a son or daughter of the Most High God. He loves each of us a ton!! He delights in our righteousness and sorrows in our sinning. There is no difference in worth between me now and when I was a missionary. I'm still His daughter. I'm still good. :) 

This understanding took a long time for me to get at. Questioning our worth is a normal thing. BUT denying ourselves the love and worth that God bestows to us is bad. Remembering who I am, that I am a daughter of God helps me on those rough days:) 

Before I would leave the house as a young girl my father always would say, "remember who you are." At the time I new my family name and what it meant to our family. I couldn't disgrace it! I was also my father's daughter and he loved me deeply and didn't want me getting into trouble, and I didn't want to disappoint him. And I also know I'm a daughter of God. So I need to act as such, with love and humility. This reminder helps me to turn to my God to receive the peace and comfort I need. 

It is so great!! I know who I am!!! I know why I'm here on this Earth. I know where I'm going after this life. All because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment