Thursday, October 31, 2013

Flashback: Hospital

I was being a good friend this past week. Me and my best friend and her boyfriend went to the hospital to bring joy to a mutual friend who was just getting out of surgery. (Wow, that's a lot if friends.) We found the elevator and went to the sixth floor. As we stood around his bed and joked around with him and his parents my head became clouded. My ears and the back of my neck felt extremely hot. I felt myself slipping into unconsciousness. I was about to faint. I'm sure my face went pale and my eyes had a glazed look. 

I fought it! and was able to stay conscious. No fainting that day! It was sad how fast it came on and there weren't any warning signs that I was about to have this struggle for consciousness. I guess it's all in the joys of my life with Fibromyalgia. But it might also be that was the first time I had been in a hospital since my mission. 

The most traumatic three weeks of my mission revolved around a companion being sick and going to the hospital. Here's an excerpt from a letter home after those weeks: 

"Wednesday, two weeks ago, we called the doctor to set up an appointment for Sis. Xxxxxx to get her mouth checked out. She had a mouth sore that was giving her trouble. Thursday she started getting headaches, not feeling so good, and tired even with a full nights rest. But we kept working:) Friday we saw the doctor. Two infections in her mouth, got antibiotics, and went on our merry way. Saturday she could walk, but had to have assistance a little bit, and her headache worsened. We weren't able to do much work. Sunday more weak she couldn't stand on her own, and horrible headaches. We only went to church. Monday she pushed herself, hard to walk and do things on her own. we went shopping and ate out. By 6 in the evening she couldn't stand on her own. She was exhausted. Tuesday morning she was dependent on me to help her stand or walk. That was our first trip to the ER. They said she was dehydrated, needed fluids and was given a different antibiotic. The Zone Leaders came and gave her a blessing and sang to us. We were back home the same day. Wednesday she was the same, but by Wednesday night she couldn't sit up on her own. And everytime she stood she began to pass out. I fully supported as she made the trip to the bathroom and back to the bed. One of the members was really nice and brought over a walker for her to use so I didn't have to fully support her anymore. Thursday morning no improvement, in fact more weak-- she began passing out when she sat up only for a second or so. Not very long but enough to worry me, and her left side of her body was numb. Back to the ER.  The District Leader and the Zone Leaders joined us this time and gave her another blessing. The tentative diagnosis was Guillian-barre' Syndrome. She was admitted to the ICU for observation. That room was full of fear and anxiety. At 11:45pm I called the Wilkey's. Pres. Wilkey sang a song to s. Windley and the fear and anxiety left. We slept in peace and calm. 

"Friday morning we saw the doctors and nurses on parade. No one had much of anything intelligent to say, and then she was wisked away to get an MRI. We moved rooms to the 6th floor to continue treatment for Guillian-barre' Syndrome. We decided that it should be called Green jello disease. Our reasoning is that she's from Utah and everyone has jello there. But she's turning into green jello now, so weak her legs won't support her. The Zone Leaders brought us a fun package of toys and Ensigns to pass the time. Throughout Friday she continues to get weaker, and both legs are beginning to get numb now, not just her left side. Friday night her hands were numb and tingly. The Zone Leaders brought us Pizza for dinner and we had a fun time eating and laughing. She had a headache the entire time, and no medicine had been able to dull it at all. Saturday morning she awoke in pain. Extreme pain. So painful to watch her have the pain. She was gasping for breathe and couldn't move any part of her body without more pain. I rang the nurse and told her she was having trouble breathing. More pain medicine, a breathing test, nurses in and out, this lasted for about 5 hours. Between gasps of air, she asked me if she was going to die. I told her no-- she was too much of a fighter. She desperately asked for the Zone Leaders to come and help her. I called them up. Between tears I think they understood me clear enough to know that she wasn't doing well, and should come ASAP. They were there in an hour and comforted both of us. I got a priesthood blessing this time, and an added boost of strength. 

"Pres. and Sis. Wilkey started on their way up to Maine on Saturday afternoon. They were bringing Sis. Rykowski with them to help out with the area, and taking care of Sis. Windley. They arrived Saturday night, and were a very welcome sight after the hard morning. I was promptly sent to go shopping with sis. Rykowski and Pres. Wilkey to get good healthy food, then go to sleep in a bed instead of a hospital chair. Sis. Wilkey stayed the night with Sis. Windley. I was given strict orders to not use an alarm clock. I had a restless night and got a bit of my physical tired gone. On Sunday we could only attend the last hour of church because we slept in (as ordered). So we went to the Hospital to get the Sacrament when we were ready cause they were giving sis. Windley the sacrament there. It was a sweet meeting with the Elders administering it to us, and we all bore our testimonies. It was sweet. Nothing eventful that evening. Me and Sis. Rykowski went home to sleep and got up early to be at the hospital by 7:30am Monday. She was discharged from the Hospital and then we went home. 

"Still weak and exhausted no matter how much she rested. Numb and tingly all over now. Tuesday we found out she was going home. Wednesday we packed. Thursday we packed more, and picked up Sis. Windley's mom from the airport. Friday they flew home to Utah." 

So maybe the hospitals are just too tender to experience. It's been about a year and a half since that time, but still too soon to forget. 


No comments:

Post a Comment